There’s no doubt that hearing aids cost a lot. Anyone who begins to search for the devices may find themselves with sticker-shock. If you have Medicare, you may be wondering if government assistance will help you pay for your hearing aids. Here is an overview of what Medicare covers and how to get affordable hearing aids.
Unfortunately, Original Medicare and most Medicare Supplement plans do not pay for hearing aids, routine hearing exams, or fittings. This fact means that you’ll have to pay 100% of the cost of your hearing aids. However, there is a way that you can get a little assistance using Medicare part B.
Medicare Part B covers diagnostic hearing tests if your doctor orders it for a medical reason. You and your doctor must have a medical reason for your hearing loss, such as illness or injury. If you can find a medically necessary reason for diagnostic hearing tests, Medicare Part B will pay 80% of the amount approved by Medicare. You’ll be responsible for the remaining 20%.
Medicare Part C
Some Medicare plans also cover hearing exams and hearing aids. Medicare Advantage, or Medicare Part C, does cover hearing aids and exams. It’s important to research which Medicare Advantage plan you’re purchasing as they are very different from one another. Medicare Part C is provided by private companies that may also have additional benefits available to pay for hearing aids if the Part C does not cover the device. Research each company before choosing one to ensure you select one that covers your needs.
If you cannot purchase a plan that includes hearing aids, there are other options. Many online websites are dedicated to providing affordable hearing aids for people who need them. Advanced Affordable Hearing is one such website. Some models on the site start as low as $199 per ear. The price would depend on the type of hearing aid you wish to purchase and your level of hearing loss.
An additional option would be to finance your hearing aid. Audicus provides hearing aids for as low as $499 for each ear. If you cannot afford to pay this price, you can start a payment plan. Payment plans at this Audicus start at $36 per month and interest rates range from 10-30%. Keep in mind that the interest rate is based on your credit score.
Featured Image: DepositPhotos/© maxkabakov